Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mmmmm! Tomato Cream Soup!

I usually fix a more elaborate dinner on Sundays, but some days, I just don't feel like it.  Today was one of those days.  So, I made homemade tomato soup!  Probably my favorite soup ever!!!  I have actually given out this recipe a few times, and the ones I gave it to make it frequently, so I guess it must be a good one!  I thought I'd share it with the rest of you!

Tomato Cream Soup
2 quarts crushed tomatoes (8 cups)
2 tsp chicken bouillon
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 bell peppers, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 - 3 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 tsp dried basil
6 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 cup flour
6 cups milk, divided
In a large saucepan, simmer tomatoes, bouillon, salt and pepper.  Meanwhile, saute onion, bell pepper and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter until tender.  Add red pepper flakes and basil to this mixture and saute briefly, then add this mixture to tomatoes.  In another saucepan, melt remaining butter, stir in flour until smooth.  Gradually add 2 cups milk.  Bring to a boil;  cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.  Add to tomato mixture.  Stir in the remaining milk; heat through (do not boil).

Today, I served it with chicken and cheese quesadillas.  It makes a great accompaniment to the old standby grilled cheese as well!!!

2 comments:

  1. Can the tomatoe's be canned? If so, how many cans of tomatoes? I couldn't tell from the posting if the soup made 2 quarts or if I needed 2 quarts of tomatoes total.

    If only fresh tomatoes, approximately how many fresh tomatoes should I buy and do I just put them in a blender?

    Can't wait to try this soup.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original recipe calls for fresh, but I usually use tomatoes I've canned. 2 quarts of tomatoes go into the soup. If using fresh, it would really depend on the size of the tomato for how many you need. If I do use fresh, I scald and peel them and then just chop or blend enough up to equal 8 cups (2 quarts). Let me know if you have any more questions. I'd love to know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete