Sunday, September 20, 2009

Buttermilk Crescent Rolls

Today we had roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and these yummy crescent rolls for dinner.  The roast is great for Sundays because I just put it in the crockpot in the morning and it's ready for dinner, so I have time to work on the other dishes to really complete the meal.  I really enjoy making bread and rolls.  I'm the designated roll maker for all of the family functions.  I have more than one recipe that I like, but this is one that I go to often.  It doesn't take quite as long as some of my other ones and always looks and tastes great for just us, or when we are expecting company as well.


Buttermilk Crescents
2 pkgs active dry yeast                       1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup water                                     1 cup buttermilk, warmed
2 eggs                                                1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar                                      4 1/2 to 5 cups flour
1 tsp salt                                             1/4 cup butter, melted

I generally mix this up in my kitchenaid mixer.  Any large mixer will work.  I have done it by hand on occasion, but it's much easier with the mixer, if you have it.  Add warm water and yeast to bowl.  Then add buttermilk (I usually use 1 tbsp vinegar mixed with enough milk to make 1 cup, unless I have buttermilk on hand), sugar, eggs and 1/2 cup butter to bowl.  Start mixer on low.  Begin adding flour gradually, then add in salt and baking soda.  Continue mixing and adding flour until you have a soft dough that's not too sticky.  Allow to raise in a warm place until double in bulk.  When you are ready to roll out the dough, divide it into 3 equal pieces and form into smooth balls.  Roll each piece out with a rolling pin into a circle.  Cut each circle in to 12 pie shaped wedges.  Brush with butter and roll up starting with the wide end first to form crescent rolls.  Brush again with butter and allow to raise until double in bulk.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 -18 minutes or until golden brown.  Brush with butter when you remove them from the oven.  Makes 3 dozen crescent rolls.

5 comments:

  1. These look like something my whole family would REALLY love!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe, I hope to make these soon!

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recipe. I adapted it a little bit, maybe you stop by my blog to see the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. are they good to freeze too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't ever frozen these before - they are typically gone to quickly! I'm sure they would freeze as well as other breads to. My mom has a friend that bakes hers until they are just about ready - maybe just a bit lighter than you would normally like them to be. She then freezes them and when you want to serve them, take them out to thaw awhile before your meal. Just before the meal - sprinkle them with a bit of water and then finish baking them to the desired color. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete