Wednesday, April 21, 2010

perfect oatmeal raisin cookies

So at my house, we are diehard oatmeal chocolate chip cookie fans.  However, about once a year, I start craving oatmeal raisin cookies.  But, it can't be any oatmeal raisin cookie, it has to be just the way I like them.  I really hate raisins, so it's a bit strange that I like this oatmeal raisin cookie.  All I can say is the secret for me lies in the treatment of the raisins.  I hate biting into a cookie and 'finding' a raisin.  The raisins have to blend in with the texture, and the flavor of the rest of the cookie.  This cookie is soft and chewy with a bit of cinnamon to round out the flavors.    And, the raisins blend with, not stand out from, the rest of the cookie.
Perfect Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
2 cups raisins
1/3 cup water
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon vanilla
 Bring raisins and water to a boil in a small saucepan.  Cover and turn off heat.  Let this set until all or most of the water has been absorbed by the raisins.  I would recommend letting this set for at least 1 hour to get the proper effect.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bown, cream butter and sugars together well.  Add eggs and beat well (4-5 minutes), or until light and fluffy.  Mix dry ingredients in another bowl and gradually add to the batter until thoroughly incorporated.  Add the raisins and mix thoroughly (if there is much water left in the pan with the raisins, drain it first).  Stir in vanilla.  Form cookies into 1 1/2 - 2 inch balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 6 - 8 minutes.  Do not overbake these cookies.  They will appear slightly underdone, but once they are thoroughly cooled, should be perfect.  You may, however, have to adjust this cooking time for your oven and your bakeware.  One more note, I use whole wheat pastry flour in these.  It makes them a bit healthier, and you'd never know the difference! 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds Delicious!! It looks like someone else likes them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe and technique for making the raisins "blend" into the rest of the cookie.

    I was just thinking the same as jbcrochetdelights, you daughter enjoying those cookies. It's the first thing I noticed actually(smile).

    Crocheting Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I switched my existing favorite 12-year old oatmeal raisin cookie recipe for yours! Thanks!
    I was always looking for a great recipe using whole wheat flour - and it really worked well with your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I copied this recipe down and will be trying it soon. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, you’re such an inspiration. I love this blog!
    How to Use Silicone Bakeware. Silicone bakeware is high-tech and easy to store and clean, which makes it an appealing option to many bakers.

    ReplyDelete